The Monument in memory of warriors who died in the
Battle of Poltava was solemnly dedicated
to mark the 300th anniversary of the Battle of Poltava.
The unveiling and consecration ceremony for the monument
took place on June 27, 2009 in the presence of official
delegations from Ukraine, Sweden, Finland,
and the Russian Federation.
This monument is dedicated to the memory of the Russian, Swedish,
and Ukrainian warriors who died in the Battle of Poltava
– the decisive battle of the Great Northern war.
This largest military conflict of the 18th century lasted 21 years and radically
changed the geopolitical conditions in Europe. The Tsardom of Russia
unleashed the war for lands on the Baltic Sea coast as
a medieval state and ended it as a great European
empire. After signing the Peace of Nystad in 1721 Sweden
lost almost all of its "overseas" holdings gained in the 17th century
and ceased to be a major power. Russia gained its Baltic territories
and became one of the greatest powers in Europe.
As for the Hetman state of Ukraine, the Great Northern War
eliminated all hopes for its independence. After the defeat
of Sweden, the final absorption of the Cossack state into
the mighty Russian empire was simply a matter of time.
Many Ukrainian Cossacks were killed in battles far beyond
Ukraine, and during the construction of fortresses,
canals, etc, in Russia. Another tragic page in the history
of the Ukrainian Cossacks was the destruction of the
Fortress of Baturyn by Russian troops on November
13, 1708, when about 7,000 of its residents and 6,000
Ukrainian Cossacks who defended the fortress were killed.
The total losses of the Swedish army in the battle of Poltava
numbered about 9,000 men. Russian losses have been
estimated at 1,345 killed and 3,200 wounded.
The Monument in memory of warriors who
died in the Battle of Poltava was designed
by architect Valery Tregubov, and consists of three arches
joined by common cupola with a bell of unity under it. Three pillars
of the monument are decorated with mosaic flags of the Russian
Federation, Sweden, and Ukraine created by artist Leonid Totskiy.
In the center of the ground under the cupola there is a sculptural
composition “Pigeons on pedestal” symbolizing souls
of the fallen warriors (sculptor Seiran Margaryan).
The walkway that joins the monument with the reconstructed
redoubt was built on the eve of the 300th anniversary of the
battle, with many chestnuts, oaks, maples, birches,
and mountain ash trees planted along its sides.